Thursday, April 26, 2007















ProConPundit.
A progressive conservative reclaims a common sense moderate majority
over left wing silliness and right wing craziness.


Let the games begin!

As if there is any shortage of my opinion, as if anyone really needs to know what I think, and in the event that I have any thoughts that have actually gone unsaid or unpublished, today I launch a blog. Not my blog, but a blog. Three friends of mine (John, Paul & Francisco) have been encouraging me to launch a blog for over a year. While they, too, have never suffered the indignity of being without my two cents, if I have inferred correctly, they think my own political stance may be a stake of ground not officially declared but possibly comprising a greater constituency than gets air time anywhere else.

What’s in a name? ProConPundit. The name came from my friend, John, who serves as editorial and ethical advisor and, on occasion, the microphone for my conscience. It’s a catchy name and I like it. I am a progressive conservative. What does that mean? I am not exactly sure so I started a list.

First, I am a conservative. I didn’t want to be a conservative. I wanted to be a liberal. I tried to be a liberal. It seemed fun and sophisticated and urbane to be a liberal. I come from a long line of Chicago Democrats. My dad was a Democratic precinct captain in Chicago. I don’t think most Chicago Democrats are liberals. I think they are part of a larger party which has become increasingly liberal and, in my view, actually intolerant of diversity that isn’t extremely liberal. Ask Joe Lieberman. Trying to be a liberal gave me headache.

Being a conservative means working hard, attempting success and giving something back to society so that society, too, may flourish and succeed. Giving something back does not mean excessive, wasteful taxing and spending. Being a conservative means helping people in need, caring for the most vulnerable in society. Helping them means giving them the tools so that they might have a real shot at life and succeeding themselves. It doesn’t mean affirmative action and it doesn’t mean feeling guilty.

Second, I am progressive. If being a liberal gave me a headache, being a conservative--without being progressive--gave me an icky feeling. Conservatives need to be forward thinking and in touch with reality. Being conservative does mean conserving what is good and valuable and treasuring who and what we are as Americans. We don’t hold our treasure in a bunker and we have to be transformed from the right wing hijacking of the conservative movement.
Timing is everything. The reason for this blog really is to create a meeting place and exchange of ideas and views as the 2008 election cycle unfolds–early as it is. Today marks the first televised debate among the Democratic hopefuls. (
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18326264/).

Finally, for the fun of it I would like to throw out some predictions and positions to be covered in greater detail along the way, as well as a dedication.
1. The goal of the ProConPundit is to see anyone become the next President except Hillary Rodham Clinton.
2. The ProConPundit believes that Barack Obama deserves the Congressional Medal of Freedom for outstanding service to God and country by becoming an obstacle to Hillary Clinton’s presidential aspirations. He should not, and will not, however, become President. George W. Bush is arguably among the least competent presidents. He will not be replaced by someone with less experience even if he is brilliant, "fresh," speaks well and looks good in a bathing suit (to some).
3. Risking credibility, the ProConPundit believes that neither Hillary nor Barack will be the nominee of the Democratic party. I believe that John Edwards or Bill Richardson will be. This is not an endorsement , though if it works toward # 1 goal (anyone but Hillary), the ProConPundit is all good with it.
4. The ProConPundit is a McCain Republican or Lieberman Democrat. I supported John McCain in 2000 and agree with Don Imus who said, among other things, that McCain has the potential to be a great president. I agree with that. I think that, pitifully, we all too often vote for lessors of evils in the voting booth. I truly believe John McCain could be a great president. That said, I think he looks tired and angry and that his ethical consistency on the war may have cost him the presidency. At this moment, however, the ProConPundit unequivocally and unconditionally endorses John McCain providing he gets some more sleep, talks less about the war, buys suits a size larger and that no one else gets in the race that I like more.
5. If the Republicans want to hold onto the White House in 08, they need to lose losers like Brownback, Huckabee and Romney. Its McCain, Giuliani or Thompson (Fred). If Fred Thompson gets in the race, the ProConPundit predicts (happily) that he will be the next president. Governors trump senators in elections and actors beat all. America loves actors in the White House.
6. The ProConPundit believes that states rights have been increasingly extinguished, that gays should have domestic partnerships, that marriage should not be redefined but that this is a state issue.
7. The ProConPundit believes that anyone who has a front door with a lock or a fence around their yard has already endorsed the securing of borders.



I am dedicating this blog to the memory of our 38th President, Gerald Ford. I believe that Jerry Ford was a progressive conservative, a decent man, a good Christian, and exactly what America needed. I believe that he was under appreciated by the American people and maligned by the media. It took Bob Woodward until Ford’s death to deign to discern that Ford wisely pardoned Nixon. I was a freshmen in high school when I knew it was the right thing to do. But I am no Bob Woodward.
America is searching for something new, something transforming, someone who can unite us.
President Bush promised to be a uniter and not a divider and has failed miserably. President Clinton talks about how he brought people together. He didn’t. He inspired red states and blue states. What the ProConPundit most wants to see is all the Bushes and all the Clintons go away.
Obama, Giuliani and Fred Thompson are all projections of America’s desire to do better and become better. Past presidents like Ford and Truman are also great examples.

So the blog begins. As Seinfeld, says, not that there is anything wrong with it but I won’t talk about my summer vacation or favorite restaurants. I’ll mostly be sharing my thoughts and diatribes on politics and inviting yours. I hope to do it humourously and I promise to publish whatever you send to the blog unless its out of line or really makes me look stupid. I don't need your help!

Bob Moynihan
Chicago, Illinois

No comments: